Thursday, January 26, 2017

Sheep & Goats


Good folks vs bad: When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. (Matthew 25:31-46)

So, the good folks said: ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

And He replies to them, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Then he turns to the goats: 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

Individually and corporately, we are called to help those in need and we cannot ignore the plight of human suffering. We work in order to meet our own needs and of those dependent on us; but we also work in order to have something to give to those in need. We join with others to find ways to come alongside those who lack the basic necessities of life that we may take for granted. 

Are you a sheep or a goat?

No comments:

Post a Comment